Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Multiculturalism and my first hand experience with foreigners



Embrace Multiculturalism - Towards a Better World

These days, although we live in the age of global generation, some people still take it for granted that foreigners who comes to Korea to work or to just travel from various countries are different from native Koreans. They would judge foreigners not with their personalities or abilities but with their skin color and the economic status of their country. However, contrary to this notion, I strongly believe that all the people around the world are the same regardless of their skin color or nationality. I think that understanding this notion is the real start of globalization.

I want to share my experience with our readers. I went to Vietnam last vacation to give some medical support and perform various medical volunteer work with a public service organization by the name of ‘Green doctors’. Although it was so hot and we got really tired of doing the volunteer work, we could not stop doing volunteer activities because there were so many people who were poor and suffering from diseases that can be treated easily in Korea, like simple inflammation. Unfortunately, the biggest reason why they suffer from many diseases is that they do not have enough money to get simple medicines in spite of living in Ho Chi Minh which is one of the major cities in Vietnam.

During the trip, I had some realizations. What’s surprising for me is that although the Vietnamese interpreters and I have different culture, skin color and even the severe difference in economic or social position, we feel the same everyday, we experience the same phase in life, such as love, pleasure and hatred. I could share easily what I feel regardless of the difference on how we were brought up and where we grew up.

A glimpse of Korean's spirit of volunteerism

When I came back to Korea after 7 days of volunteer work, I strongly felt the real friendship with them, which is totally different from sympathy. This experience definitely made me realize that all people in the world are the same and I think, this enlightenment is the priceless thing that I could get from this volunteer work.

Judging from my experience and without any doubts, I strongly believe that in our time, we should not just look at other people’s physical appearance. What we really need is to not only understand and accept foreigners’ differences but also adjust with their personality and share the kindness and love. I think these are what people who live in the age of globalization and multicultural society need.

from GEO Class 5-1 (Prof. Tom Kim and TA Raquel Perez)

Article written by: Sung-mok Jung

Photos courtesy of: Boram and Kiyoon