Thursday, January 21, 2010

Pensée on the GEO Program

Songsim campus is not a strange place to me, a seminarian: I actually have a long story about this, yet I won't tell you since I don't want to bore you. Rather, I'd like to tell you about my feelings - or pensée if I call it in a more philosophical/sophisticated way─ on the GEO program.

As a matter of fact, I majored in English and French at the CUK(more specifically, on Songsim campus) before becoming a seminarian, and at that time, I didn't think it wouldn't be that efficient to stay in the U.K., the U.S. or any English-speaking countries for a month or two to take language courses. Therefore, I strongly doubted how effective this kind of program would be before I came here. In addition, it was mandatory for seminarians to participate in this program. Imagine how we felt!: if you HAD TO take part in any kind of intensive courses, losing your precious vacations, would you be happy with that, no matter how excellent, well-organized and effective a program it would be...?!

I still remember the very first day. Students from three campuses. We never thought that we were in the one university. Instead, we all seemed to think we belonged to three different universities: we didn't know how to say hello to each other, we didn't know how to get along with each other, and above all, we didn't know each other─that was the biggest problem. As time passes by, however, we began to know each other, that is, we started to understand each other. Throughout our conversations, discussions and debates, we discovered our differences, yet at the same time, we also found out that all of us have distinct-not different- points of view. Furthermore, those distinctiveness allowed us to broaden our perspectves: we cannot deny it.

As long as I remember, the CUK has always been concerned about its unity. At least for the past ten years─I entered this university in 2000 and graduated in 2009─, all the presidents of our college emphasized the unity among the three campuses. We can clearly see this from our school's motto: Three Distinct Campuses, One Great University. Yes, we're truly one. We should  be absolute one. We just don't realize that simple truth. Now, it's time for us to understand it.

In the beginning of the winter session, Dr. Victoria H. Jo, Director of ILEC, said that she wanted us to feel confident while speaking Enlgish and to become better people. For the last four weeks, our linguistic skills and abilities have improved so much. Then, what about being a better person? Do you feel that you're better than before? Personally, I don't see if there's been any change in me when I just take a glimpse of myself. Nevertheless, as I look into myself, I can clearly tell there has been a significant change.

I firmly believe that change is one of the biggest gifts of the GEO program to me. I could not only improve my English, but also improve my attitude toward others. Throughout my own experience as a Songsim and Songsin student, I commenced to think of the possibility of true unity-or unification- of our school.

The GEO program is just not an ordinary language course. It can be a powerful remedy for our school's identity problem. That is to say, it can help all the members of the CUK to share their various points of view and thus to understand one another. It truly provides all the members with genuine opportunity to meet, experience and realize our distinctiveness, and in the end, to work out solutions. We shouldn't lose this valuable chance.

P.S.:
I truly really want to thank all the professors and TAs for their priceless effort and support. Without you, we couldn't have achieved anything. I especially thank my old friends, Nicorien, for welcoming me and giving me many chances to realize my potential. You're just like  my MOM and DAD. I also thank my wonderful teacher, Victoria, for your dedication, devotion and passion towards me and the other classmates. Due to your enseignement fantastique, we learned so many things, not just Enlgish. Our lovely TAs, Sehyun and Boram, you're such wonderful girls. Thank you, thank you, so much.

Paul LEE, Freshman, Theology

No comments: