Monday, May 14, 2012

Interesting things I learned from the GEO Colloquium


I attended the GEO Colloquium last week. The guest speaker was Honorable Harry A.C. Van Woerden. He is the executive director of the Netherlands Foreign Investment Agency (NFIA) Korea. The topic of the colloquium is ‘Stepping Stone to European Business’. He explained issues pertaining to world business and global leadership. Harry engaged students and asked them: “What should we do?”.

After I listened to the colloquium, I searched about NFIA and visited NFIA homepage to further understand the topic, ‘Stepping stone to European Business’. There, it explains the best strategic position and discusses about the subject: ‘Why invest in Holland’ in Europe”. It also discusses about the international business management environment. Before I investigated Holland, things I know about that country only include the tulip and windmill. But, after I studied about that country, I realized that Holland holds a very strong strategic position in Europe. What is interesting is that Holland is not only located in central Europe, it has excellent social overhead capital facilities. These are some of the reasons, why the speaker suggests that Holland gives potential investors a business advantage.

Korea as a hub in Asia
I remember the speaker also mentioned about the position of Korea in Asia. As he says, Korea is located in the center of East Asia, between China and Japan. It is similar to Holland. So Korea can be the ‘Stepping stone to Asian Business’. I totally agree with this. Now, Korea also prepares Korean investment for international business. Asia is very big continent. Asia is a big business place. And Korea is the center of East Asia. It has a thriving economy. I really hope Korea is as active as Holland, becoming a major hub in Asia.

Effective speaker
It is actually my first time to participate in an English speaking colloquium. The colloquium format is very unfamiliar for me. But, Honorable Harry A.C. Van Woerden’s speech made the atmosphere very pleasant. I think Honorable Harry A.C. van Woerden is a good speaker. He made a lot of eye contact with the audience. Even if the topic is difficult, he tried to deliver his speech properly. Amazingly, he sometimes used Korean in his speech. It makes an amicable atmosphere all throughout. I think the best speaker has to prepare contents of speech and consider the response of the audience. If the speaker doesn’t care about audience and does not make enough contact with them, they will be very bored and uninterested in his speech. So I was so impressed with his speech.

I experienced Colloquium for the first time. I learned a lot about global business and more so about the speaker’s attitude and EnglishJ. I enjoyed the colloquium and it helped me to improve my English. Thanks to the colloquium. I look forward to future colloquiums that Catholic University of Korea will organize. 

by Seung A Ko, GEO Class 2-1, Professor Nigel Powers and TA Go Eun