Friday, July 13, 2012

Our new CGSS Friends Exposed – Part 2

Your industrious and skillful GEO 18 Team
Your jolly Filipino and Korean TAs

Aside from our competent Filipino and Korean Teaching Assistants, this GEO 18, we have our friends from the CUK Global Summer School (CGSS) program who are also here to help our GEO 18 students. We featured Grace during the first article of this series. Now we have another student who is part of the CGSS program. Coincidentally, he shares the same ethnicity with our resident Teaching Assistants. He is also a Filipino. You might come across him in the dormitory or during GEO events. Or he might just be the buddy assigned in your GEO class.

Continue reading to get to know more about our new CGSS friend on the block.. ^^


1. Personal details
Name: Russel Tolentino
Nickname: Russ
Hometown: London, United Kingdom
Length of stay in Korea: 5 weeks
School/ Course: St. Mary’s University College of London/ Tourism Management
Terms of tenure in CUK (Exchange student? Masters student?): Exchange Student

 2. What are your likes and dislikes?
I really love exploring and discovering diverse culture, that is why I love travelling to different places domestically and internationally. I really want to experience and see for myself how the different cultures of the world differ from each other, to find out what is unique about them.

I like making each day of my life interesting and different by learning and trying new and extraordinary things and experiences. I also love meeting new people and making lots and lots of friends.

I like red and blue! CN Blue! Maroon 5, friendly people, Philippines, and the Korean Chicken and Beer!!

I HATE seafoods, I know, I’m missing out, but I’m very allergic to them. I dislike people who are grumpy and boring and I hate losing and failing!

3. What keeps you busy during your spare time?
In my spare time, I take pleasure teaching myself how to play the guitar, listen to music and sing, hang out with my friends, read books, and go out and visit different places.

Russel with new friends from GEO
4. What is your impression about Korea? What do you like most about Korea?
I have got to say, Korea is far different from London. The culture is very distinct and fascinating such as the language, customs and traditions, and most especially the amazing Korean food. And though the weather is not that good at all times, it is far better than London!

What I really like the most here in Korea are the people who are very respectful and helpful; everyone greet each other with smiles and bows and by randomly saying ‘annyeong hasseyo” which never fail to make my day even more perfect. I also admire how the Koreans who doesn’t speak very good English (the random people you find in the university, restaurants, shops, train station, etc.) try their very best to communicate and help me.

5. What is your impression of CUK and its Vision of becoming and International Hub?
I have never seen a university that is as massive as CUK, it's way too big; it’s like a whole subdivision. I could never find my way around, well, not yet! The classrooms are all fully equipped and very Westernized which makes it more of an international university. Professors are nice, helpful and very easy to approach. The campus has a relaxing mood and at the same time, lively atmosphere; it’s always clean, lots of studying areas and places to hang out during free periods, and there are a lot of friendly students too. In addition, the location of CUK is indeed accessible with lots of shops and places to eat around the area, and the nearby subway station.

As CUK operates a number of programs that allow foreign students from different countries to participate and enter the university, I personally think that it will continuously improve its chance of becoming the most internationally known Catholic university in Seoul or even in Asia that could subsequently increase its reputation.

6. Expectations from GEO, GEO students
I expect that the GEO programme will be added to the most unforgettable experiences of my life; I expect it to be very enjoyable with lots of fun and laughter! I would also like to learn many things and make lots of new friends.

For the GEO students, as a TA, I really want them to contribute as much effort as they can, try their best and participate well with all activities that are planned for them. I would like them to believe in themselves, gain lots of confidence and never give up learning English. At the end of the day, they will really benefit from this big time! Lastly and most importantly, I expect them to have such an amazing time and have lots of fun at the same time as they learn.

For the co-faculty, I hope that they would be friendly, supportive and understanding.



Russel having Pizza party at CUK school grounds
7. Things you want to impart to readers
I was born in the Philippines and lived there for 12 years; at the present time, I am a British resident who lives in London.

My life being a university student it pretty tough, university in London is really intense and it’s hard to catch up once you fall behind, so I work extra hard and have my full concentration during every lecture I take two majors to keep up and enhance my knowledge and skills. In addition, we have strict marking criteria in the UK so I make certain that all of my course works are of a high quality by doing extra researches and through intense self-study.

Living in London is nothing like Korea; very different people, language, weather, and completely different culture. However, since I have lived in Asia before, I do not find it too hard to learn the Korean culture; although there are still many differences in terms of people’s behaviour and attitudes, the food, language and traditions, I’m sure that I will adapt well with my eagerness to experience the Korean’s way of life.

8. Message to GEO 18 students
I know that learning English can be really tough, but I know that you can all do it and improve further as you go until you become fluent English speakers; this is as long as you have faith and confidence in yourself and by always keeping in mind that this can really lead you to a better future.

I would also like you all to bear in mind that ‘You will never succeed until you believe in yourself’, so I advise you all to put as much effort and interest in what you do, focus, and always do your very best.
Russell with the rest of GEO 18's Buddiesfrom Abroad

GEO 18 students, Aja Aja FIGHTING!!