Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Our new CGSS Friends Exposed – Part 5

GEO 18 students are privileged not to just have great professors, excellent teaching assistants. This vacation, they also enjoy the company of CUK Global Summer School (CGSS) students. A couple of CGSS are highly visible in the campus to help the GEO students. Let's get to know one of them better.

Say hi to Yvonne...

1. Personal details

Name: Yvonne Nguyen
Nickname: Vonnie
Hometown: Austin, TX
Length of stay in Korea: 4 Weeks
School/ Course: St. Edward’s University/Kinesiology
Terms of tenure in CUK (Exchange student? Masters student?): Exchange student


Yvonne with new Korean friends
2. What are your likes and dislikes?
I like to try all kinds of foods. I like to explore or go on adventures around town and I like to meet new people. I dislike mosquitoes because I really dislike getting bitten by them. I dislike it so much.

3. What keeps you busy during your spare time?
During the spare time that I do get, my family and friends keep me busy most. Usually, I would go shopping with my family and bring my dog everywhere I can. My family and I would go to the park and then go out to eat at our favorite restaurants. With my friends, we would usually enjoy the night out after school and work, eat sushi, and then go to karaoke. On other nights, we would stay in and watch a movie at home or play games.

4. What is your impression about Korea? What do you like most about Korea?
I like Korea for its cleanliness. I like how everything is in order like in the cafeteria where people have to place the dishes in different places after they are done eating. I like the taste of the food because it is authentic and there is always Kimchi that is served with the meals. I love Kimchi.

Just outside Global Lounge
5. What is your impression of CUK and its Vision of becoming and International Hub?: My impression of CUK is that it is a wonderful school filled with nice people. With the International Hub as one of the first buildings I see on this campus, I hope CUK will have more international students. It is a good chance to expand the knowledge of culture of the students visiting and of the students who are already attending CUK. 
6. Expectations from GEO, GEO students
I expect to have a lot of fun with GEO and I hope to build great friendships with GEO students and learn anything new from them.

7. Things you want to impart to readers 
Living in another country on my own, even for a month, has taught me more independence. Living at home, I drive everywhere. Living here, I walk to the subway and actually take the subway to wherever I need to go. I really enjoy taking the subway because it is very efficient. I wished that there were subways where I live, but unfortunately, I have to drive everywhere, pay for gas, and be stuck in traffic for about 40 minutes before I make it to school in the morning.
8. Message to GEO 18 students:
Hello GEO students! I’ve met each and everyone of you from class and I really, really enjoy hanging out with you. I love all the new places you all have taken me out to eat. I am looking forward to meeting with you again soon! Let’s have a great month!


Another casual dinner with GEO students