Thursday, August 28, 2014

What consumed my Spring 2014 Semester (TA Blog)

By TA Frida Tobias


Second Semester is almost coming to an end and seems like I haven’t accomplished all my objectives yet. This summary tries to single out my achievements from those that were apparently substandard efforts occurred between March and May 2014. A reflection I need in order to keep me motivated; I still have a whole month of June though to cross out the remaining targets from my checklist.

What were the things I have accomplished so far?

• Came into terms that IPE and Shipping will be my theme for my thesis.
• Consequently, restructured my other academic goals.
• I managed to live independently without any financial support from home.
• I have built few networks in Seoul.
• I have proved myself right that Korean cosmetics can really make me look good.

Our International Political Economy class with Dr. Ye




What would I have done differently?

• I would have been more passionate about writing.
• I would have spent LESS time procrastinating.
• I would have spent LESS time pulling allnighters.
• I would not have been panicking over nonsensical things
• I would have spent MORE time reading academic papers.
• I would have invested my free time in some sports.
• I would have practiced my Korean language more by pulling basic conversations with Korean people.

What did I feel good about?

• The joy I felt when I was assigned in a three- person bedroom with 2 Korean freshmen as my roommates.
• Tteokkbokki stand beside Thunder ChickenWhat were the things I am grateful for?

• Family, Friends, God
• GEO Program
• Korean ice cream
• the mixture of Dry Finish beer and soju
• Spring and cherry blossoms

One Tuesday night with Filipino friends

What were the fun experiences I had?

• I was able to share the many happy memories of my life with my wonderful friends.
• When I fell in love with Korean ice cream. And Jeyuk Deopbap.
• I had fun working with the most cheerful and high-spirited people.
• I became better at procrastinating that I hate it.
• Amazingly, I enjoyed those sleepless and wasted nights at my friends’ laboratory. 

What were the not-so-fun experiences I had?

• Stress, No. 1
• There were times I felt lost and upset over my life choices.
• I cut off my long time relationship with a person because our priorities didn’t match together.
• Having experienced non-professionalism at some point; that was the time I want to go back to the corporate world again.
• Philippine Reproductive Health Bill has been enacted into law.
• I enrolled in a gym for a month work out but ended up consuming only 1/3 of my membership. 
• Then I gained 3 kilos.
• I procrastinated every Monday.
• The short- term effects of Soju  

What am I looking forward to next semester?

• Focus on my thesis preparations.
• More travels and beach holidays, hopefully.
• Savings for my future travels
• Concrete plans after graduation
• To be as prompt as Demi.
• To be as spontaneous as Dustine. 
• To be as fit as Dayana.
• To learn belly dancing from Angie.
• To make more time to meet new Korean friends. 

with friends, Demi (middle) and Dustine (right)

***

Read more about TA Frida here.