Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Our Korean Christmas Day Experience

Christmas in South Korea holds different meaning to different groups of people. For some, it’s a time to spend memorable moments with family and close friends, for sacrifices and charity, for special partners, while for others it is just another regular day in their lives. Truly, there are many different perceptions and ways to celebrate Christmas. Let us see some of the Christmas experiences as shared by some of the GEO students:

Children are all excited to receive gifts during the Christmas season

Chae-Jun Lim

When I was young, I believed that Santa Claus really existed. I always wait for him to give me presents. Every Christmas morning, I boast to my parents that Santa Claus gave a gift to me again, meaning, he thinks I am a good boy. Gifts that I receive were lego play set, toy car, bicycle and so on. I was so happy. But one day, through a TV show, I discovered that Santa Claus was not real. In the show, they said that ‘Santa Claus’ presents were bought by your fathers’. I was shocked. It made me a little sad. After this incident, my parents noticed that I don’t believe in Santa Claus anymore. From then on, they ask me directly what I want for Christmas.”

Hyung-Ha Choi

“I spent my Christmas with my boyfriend last year. He gave me a surprise party and I was very impressed. We then travelled to Busan where he gave me flowers and a lovely ring. It was our first couple ring. We went to a wonderful restaurant wherein he gave a surprise again. He played the piano and sang a song for me. I was so happy. Sadly, we broke up this year. This wonderful Christmas experience will always be in my memory.”

Geun-Ju Park

“Last year, I had a wonderful Christmas experience with family and friends. My family woke up early to have breakfast together. We then went to church to pray and thank God for all the blessings that He has given us. In church, we sang beautiful Christmas carols that made me feel happy and contented. My father then gave my mom, my sister and myself gift certificates for shopping. We were all very happy. We went shopping that day for winter clothes. My mom bought a beautiful handbag. Seeing her smile made me feel all warm inside. In that afternoon, I spent time with my high school friends. We ate chicken and shared stories. It was really a fun Christmas and I hope this coming Christmas will be the same. ”

Hope that we remember the real reason for the season ^_~

Song-Eun Oh

“When I was still a kid, the thought of Christmas always makes me excited because of the gifts that I will receive from Santa Claus. As I grow up, my belief with Santa Claus, along with my enthusiasm about Christmas faded away slowly. I guess this is because most people in Korea think that Christmas is a day for couples. The streets, restaurants, shopping malls and parks are flooded with couples. I think people should start to rethink their perception about Christmas day. It is important to spend it with your loved-ones but they should not be the center of the celebration, rather it should be Jesus Christ.”

Article written by Chae-Jun Lim, Hyung-Ha Choi, Geun-Ju Park and Song-Eun Oh

from GEO Class 1-1 (Prof. Tom Kim and TA Cynthia Garcia )