Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Student's Blog: What career do you hope to have?

Hi, my name is Chang-ho Shin. I am a sophomore at Catholic University of Korea. My major is Special Education and I am in GEO 3-5 class. Have you ever been asked the question: “what kind of career do you hope to have?” 

This kind of question is hard to answer for some people, especially, for those who don't have a clue yet. However, I have had my dream since I was a high school student. My dream is to become a Special educational teacher. A special educational teacher is a teacher who helps students with disabilities. They help handicapped people to learn how to live independently in society. Despite the importance of special educational teachers, most people don’t know about it well. 

Actually, it was not my dream to be a special educational teacher because I did not know this job when I was younger. When I was a middle school student, I had a vague dream about becoming a teacher. I thought that being a teacher is a good job. When I was in middle school I wanted to be a mathematics teacher because I dreamed of becoming a teacher and loved math. I entered high school with this dream. 

My high school educated both disabled students and normal students together in the same classes. Of course, a disabled student was in my class. I hated the disabled student and I did not talk with those students at first. My high school had ‘Club Activity’ class once a week and I entered sign-language club. So I learned sign-language once a week. A teacher who was in charge of the sign-language Club was a special educational teacher. 

For the first time, I had a chance to learn about job of a special educational teacher through my club teacher. I learn sign-language with disabled students. As time goes by, I got along with and interacted with the disabled students. And several months later, I felt that the disabled students were cute and I started to like them. I believe that they have the purest mind in the world. 

My sophomore year of high school, I made a new sign-language club and I was the captain of that club. I taught sign-language to both the disabled students and normal students once a week. We entered several sign-language contests and won a prize. As I communicated with the disabled students more and more, I was getting interested in the job of a special educational teacher. I originally liked the job of teacher and I thought that if I were a special educational teacher, I could live worthwhile and happy life. So I decided to be a special educational teacher and I entered the Special Education department in CUK. 

After entering Special Education department, I learned professional special education. I do not regret entering this department. As I learn more about special education, I feel closer to disabled students. I have a deep passion and desire to become a Special educational teacher.

by Chang-Ho, Shin
Class 3-5
Special Education, Sophomore