Tuesday, November 12, 2013

TA Blog Entry

Demilyn C. Noble
201342092
Blog
10-13-2013

                Korea--- the country that has always existed inside my T.V screen, a country that will have always been a dream… until I got the opportunity to enter CUK. Other than finishing my Master’s Degree, my other goal is to see my ultimate love MBLAQ. Some people think I’m crazy, coming all the way here just to see a group that is not really that famous. But, I’ve learned through this whole process that I’m going through, that having the goal of seeing my favourite k-pop band is not just another fan girls’ dream. More than the happiness I feel in seeing them, living in the same time zone as them and obviously breathing the same Korean air, MBLAQ brought me closer to the Korean culture and Korea as a whole.
                Less than a month into my 1st semester here, I have already experienced my very first Kpop concert--- for free! It was a dream come true for me (but of course it would have been better if it was an MBLAQ concert; but nevertheless I feel so blessed to have attended it.) The Lotte Family Festival was held at Jamsil Stadium last September 13-15 and had held a mini concert consisting of different idol groups to hundreds of thousands of people who attended the event. It was fun, as I not only get to see 2AM and 2PM live on stage, but I also finally experienced how it feels like to be part of a K-pop concert. It was amazing how fans showed their support for their idols with balloons, lights and even color coded shirts. But the thing that amazed me the most is how many foreigners attended the event just to support their favourite groups.
                For others, K-pop may just be a child’s play. But looking at it from a different angle, Kpop has served as one of the keys for people to get to know and eventually fall in love with Korea. The Lotte Family Festival was one proof that indeed, music binds people together no matter what the nationality is. Being able to watch and be part of the event really left a good impression on me. Because of what I have experienced, I strongly believe that there will be more opportunities and fun experiences to look forward to. My experience with the people and the culture in my few weeks stay here had made me love the country more. Korea left a very good impression on me, something that I would like to share to other people when I go back home--- and I have Kpop and MBLAQ to thank for that.