Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Class 2-1 students share their English Clinic experience


In GEO, we encourage students to express their ideas. The GEO’s English Clinic Program provides a venue for them to share their thoughts and dreams in English. A few students from Professor Peter’s class wrote about their conversations and the teaching assistants (TAs) they talked to.

Jung Hun

Jung Hun (in photo) shared his dreams with TA Gerard

My English Clinic TA was Gerard. We talked about Dreams. Dreams mean “If you have enough money, and enough time, what do you want to do?” I told him about my dream. “My dream is to tour Europe. Start in England, and then go to Netherlands, France, Germany, Switzerland, Italy then Greece…” Then he said, “Why do you want to travel around Europe?” I answered, “I want to visit almost all the museums in Europe. In England, I want to go to the Great Britain Museum, and in Netherlands, to the Rijks Museum…” And I told him more about my plans for visiting museums in Europe.

And then I asked him, “How about you?” He told to me about his dream. He wants to travel to India and to other countries nearby, like Vietnam, Myanmar and Thailand. He said “Those places are filled with mystery. I want to go there, and want to feel the nature.” After that, we talked about so many things about each other – About the future trip to the Moon, about Japanese characters, and so many other things. It was a fun experience for me. I was extremely satisfied that time.

Both TA Lia and Kim Yoo Ji (in photo) loves to travel

Kim Yoo Ji

I will introduce TA Lia. She is from the Philippines. She is pretty. Her character is very kind and she looks cool. We talked about our dream vacation. I told to her about my vacation when I travelled America. She said she loves travelling, too. So we talked about that easily. She wants to go to many countries, especially, Cambodia and in Southeast Asia. Lastly, she wants to travel with a camping car. It is not safe but it looks very attractive. I think she really loves going on trips.

Lee Jin Sol (in photo) and TA Kerwin talks about their major - Digital Media

Lee Jin Sol

My English clinic TA’s name is Kerwin. He is from Manila in the Philippines. His major is Cultual Contents in Digital Media. Our major is the same. I don’t have a specific major yet, only Digital Media because I’m a freshman. I want to take both Cultural Contents and Media Engineering in Digital Media. However, Kerwin wants to change his major from Cultural Contents to Media Engineering. He doesn’t want to study both of them. Because his major was Computer Engineering in the Philippines, he says Media Engineering is like Computer Engineering. He told me that C++ (that is Computer language like Java.) is very easy. I don’t think so… ^^ Ah, and he wants to be a computer programmer or work at an advertising company. I think he can achieve his dreams ^^

Ahn Taebong (in photo) is inspired by TA Alex's Korean speaking ability

Ahn Taebong

My English Clinic TA is Alex. He is a graduate school student and this semester is his last year in this school. His major is Digital Media. Before we met, he came from COEX because he participated in a job fair. So he looked very tired during the clinic. He wants to get a job in Korea, but I can’t remember exactly the job that he wants. Also he spoke Korean very well.

He talked about a lot of things such as the TOEIC, the Korean and Philippine education system and his future job. I was surprised that Filipinos can already go to the university at 17 years old. During the clinic, I talked about my future vision, learned more about foreigner’s thinking and also improve my English skill a little. So this chance was very useful to me.

Article written by: Jung Hun, Kim Yoo Ji, Lee Jin Sol and Ahn Taebong

from GEO Class 2-1 (Prof. Peter Jenkins and TA Tin Luna)