Tuesday, January 12, 2010

“ONLY ENGLISH POLICY" is Helpful to Improve My English Speaking

Interview with a student from Songeui campus








Students from three different campuses of the CUK are participating in our winter GEO Program. There is only one student from  the Nursing school of CUK, so I interviewed her.

Journalist(J) : Hi. My name is Woo-in Lee and I'm a journalist of the GEO Press Club. I'd like to interview you about the GEO program so I want to ask you some questions. Before we start, could you introduce yourself briefly?



Student(S) : Sure. My name is Eun-hye Kim and my major is nursing. I'm a freshman in Songeui campus. Nice to meet you.



J : Nice to meet you, too! So, why do you paticipate in the GEO Program?



S : I'm here to study English of course, especially conversation. Actually on our campus, there are only two English classes per year. We have English classes only for 2 and a half hours per week so time for studying English is not enough. Besides professors don't care about students' english speaking skills. So I want to get a chance to speak English and I need to improve my speaking skills because I want to be a graduate school student in US. That is why I am here. And not only for studying English but also for meeting many students and making new friends. I think the unification of students from the three different Universities is one of the most important goals of the GEO program.



J : Wow! Then how was it so far? I mean, today is a third day of the GEO program so what is your impression of the program so far?



S : Actually, I'm not that good at speaking English but I'm in level 5. So I have to "survive" in this class and I have to catch up with the other students so it's a little tough for me. But in the GEO program, there are many club activities,  class drama and a talent show so I can get a lot of experience from them. And the impression of this program is that I have to speak English all the time so it's a little bit of pressure on me. However I believe this month can be a very important month to me! I honestly think it can improve my English skills and I'm really looking forward to it.



J : Before this winter camp, there was a summer camp and a fall semester camp. Is this your first time to participate in this program?



S : Actually this is the second time to participate. Before this, I've already did the summer GEO camp.



J : Then, is there some differences between them?



S : Sure! In my case, my English improved a lot! I was a level 3 intermediate student, but now I am in level 5. Not that good but anyway I think my English skills genuinely improved. In the summer camp, I couldn't speak English well like now. But I got used to speak in English and now I have more confidence!I think speaking English for more than 8 hours a day is really helpful for me.



J : I see. So is there anything else you want to say?



S : Um, I think this program is not only for learning English but also for improving myself, especially confidence. And I hope this program will be a good opportunity  to make friends!



J : I see. Thank you so much for the interview.



S : Thank you.





Reporter: Woo-in Lee
Photographer: Ji-hye Oh



No comments: