Friday, February 10, 2012

GEO Program brings out a Different Me


Since I was a kid, I am curious about people from other countries because I have a relative who can speak Japanese and English. After spending some time with this relative, I became interested in Japanese. This is the reason why I decided to pursue a career associated with a foreign language.

A first step to pursuing my career of choice is to go to a reputable university. I studied hard during my tenure in high school in order to obtain my certification and get into a decent school. In addition, nowadays, university entrance examination application requirements are stricter, that is why I have to double my efforts. For instance, these days, during the application process, I have to undergo an interview. This is the reason why I went to Seoul during the semester. During the interview procedures, many university professors asked me to discuss many things. Catholic University was the most memorable place among others. Applicants like me have to undertake five minute personal interview with professors. I think that I did fairly well. It seemed that they were satisfied with my performance during the interview. They appeared to be pleased with my extracurricular activities as well. However, I was still anxious and worried because I am unsure of the results. That is why when I received the letter of acceptance from this university, my anxiety and worry were all gone. I could not believe it. Even my parents were proud of me.

When I received a mail about the G.E.O program from CUK, my parents said "it's a very good opportunity for you". I completely concurred with their opinion. So I sent an application even though my major is Japanese. I strongly believed that English is also an essential language to learn.

I'm participating in the GEO program now and I am so happy. I can't believe that I am staying away from home, living independently, living with strangers and speaking in English. At first, I thought this new environment is unusual for me, but I was able to adapt gradually. My classmates, who I met for the first time, became my close friends. Also, I became a leader in my team so now I’m leading my team members, cheering and dancing without shyness. I became a different person. I’m starting my college life with the GEO program and I’m very happy with the changes that this program brought about my life. Thanks to the GEO program. The experience that I am having now is indescribable. I am glad and am looking forward to the succeeding events.


GEO helps us unleash our potential through various activities like
brainstorming and interacting with one another.



by: Seo Kyu Kwon from GEO Class 4-1 (Professor Tom Kim and TA Jiyeon)