Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Meet our Foreign Teaching Assistants on the Block - Part 1

The Global English Outreach (GEO) Program is a multidimensional course of study which is committed to improving learners’ English proficiency and providing a unique social and cultural experience. The goal is to offer students challenging instruction that aims to develop communicative competence in a stimulating and natural manner. The program is composed of various important points - the content based classes and the conversation segment. Classes are designed to focus on developing essential communication skills using a textbook (Cutting Edge), while the conversation portion consists of integrated skills and functions organized around themes of interest, with a strong emphasis on discussion.

English Clinic falls under the conversation portion of the GEO program. All GEO students are required to visit the GEO English Clinic three (3) times during the semester to get help with all English needs. Or simply, they can just visit the GEO English Clinic to gain new foreigner friends and have fun mingling with other international students.

These English Clinic visits can take place in any of these two (2) locations:
The Global Lounge: Mondays to Thursdays (1 – 8 PM) & Fridays (1 – 5 PM)
The OBF English CafĂ©: Mondays to Fridays (9:30 AM – 5:30 PM)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We have a number of friendly and approachable Foreign Teaching Assistants (FTAs) this spring semester who are all willing to help you. Get to know one of them in this article featuring our Foreign Teaching Assistants on the Block...

Meet Affy...

Name: Afton Nicole Wright
Nickname: Affy
Hometown: Mansfield, Pennsylvania – United States of America
Length of stay in Korea: 1 semester
School/ Course: From Marywood University in Pennsylvania. At Marywood, my major was Nutrition/Dietetics. At CUK, my major is International Studies.
Terms of tenure in CUK (Exchange student? Masters student?): I am an exchange student.

What are your likes and dislikes?
I really like listening to music, hanging out with friends, reading, and eating food, drinking coffee, exercising. There really isn’t too many things that I dislike. I’m the type of person that will try anything once and I’m pretty easy-going and I like simplicity.

What keeps you busy during your spare time?
In my spare time I like to hang out with friends, reading, exercising, exploring different places/areas in Korea. I like to cook/bake various types of food.

What is your impression about Korea? What do you like most about Korea?
I really love learning about Korean history and culture. My first impression about Korea was that everybody is very friendly and helpful! I really love Korean food and I love walking around and discovering new places and sights with friends in Korea.

What is your impression of CUK and its Vision of becoming and International Hub?
My impression of CUK is that everyone is very friendly and I feel that CUK is very helpful to the students and they care for the students a lot. I really like that CUK has a vision of being an International Hub because I feel that it is such a positive experience getting to know people from different areas of the world and learning about them and their culture and becoming good friends.

Expectations from GEO, GEO students...
I just hope for a very positive and friendly experience and I feel very lucky to have this opportunity to study and get to know everybody!

Message to GEO 17 students.
I’m very excited to meet you! I hope that we can become good friends


Here you go, we hope you got to know our FTA Affy better.
Enjoy your English Clinic conversations with her...^^


by Abigail Go, GEO Blog Editor