Friday, March 23, 2012

Meet our Foreign Teaching Assistants on the Block - Part 2

We have Foreign Teaching Assistants (FTAs) this spring semester. I am pretty sure that you are all excited to get to know more about them. Especially for GEO students, who would be meeting these FTAs during their English Clinic visits in the Global Lounge.

This is the second part of our series featuring our new FTAs on the block.

Meet Thommy...

Name: Thommy Tran
Hometown: Minneapolis, MN U.S.A.
Length of stay in Korea: 1 semester
School/Course: Concordia University/Asian Studies
Terms of Tenure at CUK: Exchange student.

What are your likes and dislikes?
I enjoy mostly everything. I'm willing to give everything a try once. I'm very open minded so I don't have many dislikes.

What keeps you busy during your spare time?
To spend my spare time, I like to listen to music. I also like to talk to friends. Last but not least, I like to play the guitar during my free time.

What is your impression about Korea? What do you like most about Korea?
I learned a bit about the Korean culture before I came and I am pleased to know that what I've learned really helps me out here. What I like the most? That's a pretty hard question to answer. I suppose... the people. They're all so kind and I've never felt the least bit homesick yet.

What is your impression of CUK and its Vision of becoming and International Hub?
CUK in my opinion is an amazing school. The International Hub quite surprises me the most when I first came to this school. It really appeals to me how students can practice their level of English. It sort of makes me wish there was something similar back at home so I could practice my language learning.

Expectations from GEO, GEO students...
Simply I expect GEO students to try and stay confident with their English ability. The more confidence they have, the more they will practice. I believe it's perfectly fine to make mistakes and the more you make, the more you learn.

Message to GEO 17 students
Try your best and study hard! Take a day off when you're too stressed out (you learn better that way when you have a break). Stay confident and don't worry about making any mistakes.


Here you go, we hope you got to know our FTA Thommy better.
Enjoy your English Clinic conversations with him...^^

by Abigail Go, GEO Blog Editor