Tuesday, November 13, 2012

KTA's Blog: Ga Eun talks about her major

Hello, friends. I’m TA Ga Eun. It’s really great to meet you again here on the GEO blog! Today, I’m going to tell you about Psychology which is my major. I’ve dreamt of studying Psychology since I was a middle school student. I like books and movies, and I spent lots of times with them. I think these hobbies sparked my interest in psychology. And lots of my friends, who are majoring psychology, have similar reasons just like me. Then, what is PSYCHOLOGY? 

Let’s start from here. How much do you know about Psychology? Is it mind reading skills? Do psychology students learn about blood type personality? Or do they know what your boyfriend is thinking now? Actually, these are NOT psychology. Psychology is not mind reading, and it’s not common personality tests we can find on the internet. Psychology is a ‘social science’. 


Isn’t it surprise? Psychology is a science. Let’s have a look at the definition of psychology. Psychology is the scientific study of the human mind and the reasons for people’s behavior. The study of human mind and the reasons for people’s behavior; psychologists use scientific ways like survey, experiment, interview, etc. That’s the reason why we, psychology students, also study how to plan experiments without confound variables. And we study statistics too, for interpreting the result of experiments. (Yeah, it sounds like we are a scientist.) 

However, lots of people just think that psychology is something like a mind reading skills. I feel really sad when I hear that. It can be a part of psychology, but that is not a sufficient explanation for psychology. So, please guys. When someone ask you about psychology, don’t answer like “I know psychology. Isn’t it about mind reading things?” Because you know the correct answer: Psychology is the scientific study of the human mind and the reasons for people’s behavior. 

Thank you for reading this writing J See you at GEO time and have a great weekends, all my friends!

by TA Ga Eun

No comments: