Monday, November 5, 2012

Student's Blog: GEO Clubs

Two of the students of Prof. Tom Kim (Class 3-3) share their insights and experiences on joining GEO clubs and which club they enjoy most.

Student's Entry #1 (Olympic Club)


When I was a high school student, there was an elective class only once a week. Our nation's education system is weighted on college admissions, meaning that students have to study Korean, Mathematics, English, Social Science, and Science; more than extra subjects such as PE, art, music etc. I had focused on my 'major subjects', and because of that my PE score was very low. Last year, I was so weak that I always caught a cold. What was worse was that I got pneumonia.


I have thought that I could enjoy exercising after entering university. However, I do not have a lot of time to work out because I have lots of homework to do.  Also the Health Club is kind of expensive, and I don't have a lot of money. Luckily, for me there is a club called 'Olympic Club' in which I can perform light exercises in the gym for free.

I joined the Olympic Club to help enhance my health. The club helps me to be healthy and is very fun, it also helps me with speaking English too. My team is Ireland, and it is comprised of three members: two girls and one boy. The shot put is the most interesting sports to me. I've never had the experience of doing the shot put, so I was very unfamiliar with that. 

Ji Eun Son
Class 3-3




Student's Entry #2 (Card Club and TV Club)

Many students do not know how to play any card games. So we all had to learn the basics first.  Our TA Dan and our professor were very passionate and patient enough to teach us about it.  They would join us while they teach us the rules of the game and there would be interaction not only towards the students but also with the TA and the professor itself.  As the game progresses on, each of us would write down our score on a piece of paper and by the end of the game, we would find out who the winner was.  In addition, winners are given Choco Pies as their award.


Signing up for Club B was rather exciting.  I was actually the first person to sign up for TV club and with the rest of the clubs.  In my case, I chose to join TV club because if I chose the other ones, I would have time conflict with my other major subjects.  My friend, Eun Ji, who is also my classmate in my GEO class, recommended it to me.

Due to the Korean holiday and mid-terms that has recently passed, I am still yet unable to join and tell you about how TV Club is.  I don’t really know how it goes (TV Club) but I am looking forward to joining it as soon as I can because I am also curious and excited to see how different it could be from the previous club I joined.

Originally, we had only one club in one semester but it was changed.  I think that it is a good way to have various experiences.  I want to participate in more clubs later. 



Ji Hye Park
Class 3-3


No comments: