Saturday, November 2, 2013

GEO25 and Back to the Past

Meeting Somebody from the Past: A Second Chance with My Grandfather
3-3

 If given the opportunity to meet someone who has passed away already, I would want to meet my grandfather. He helped me enroll in the Catholic University while I was in high school and after sometime he passed away. I thought it was his last present for me and a way of saying farewell. As you know, Korea’s exam for university entrance is known as ‘the door of hell’. My grandfather helped me during that time which made me succeed in the examination. Although he suffering from cancer, he still managed to help me and take care of me during the last years of his life.

The other reason I want to see him is because I want to fulfill one of his desires. He loved fishing, so he wanted to buy a boat and go fishing. Whenever I visited our grandfather’s house, he used to tease me, asking me to contribute some money so that he could buy a boat with it. I could not understand why he teased me so much back then. But now I know why he said that to me, he wanted to buy a boat because he wanted go fishing with me and spend time with his grandchild. If I meet my grandfather again, I would ask him if he would give me that chance to buy that boat with him. I would like to go fishing with him, eat sushi, and spend that time in the sea with him which he always wanted.

As I remember him now, I remember his peaceful smiling face, I could never forget that. As for now, I should make a new travelling plan so that I can spend time with my family.


I love my grandfather. And really miss him.

By - So Kwon Soo