Monday, November 18, 2013

GEO25 and TA Saba

TA blog

Adjusting to Life in Korea

Leaving home to live in Korea for two years is not all fun and games. When I first applied for this Master’s program with CUK, I was ecstatic with joy. I get to pursue my Master’s degree abroad in South Korea for two years! Woo-hoo! However, when the time actually came to leave my home in Austin, Texas, I could feel my heart breaking. The thought of leaving my family was overwhelming and so intense that it came as a complete shock. I couldn’t turn back now, though. So, with a heavy heart I left my home for Korea. The first few days were tough. I studied abroad in Korea previously in the summer of 2012 and I did not feel sad about leaving home even once. Then again, at that time the duration of my trip was only one month. I have never left home for too long though, and especially not for two years. The first few days in Korea were spent with my thoughts revolving around home and missing my family. However, once classes and work started I could not believe how preoccupied I became. I was constantly running here and there, trying to get work done on time and trying not to be late for my appointments and meetings. I didn’t have the time to think about how much I missed home anymore. This is one of my favorite aspects about the lifestyle in South Korea. It is one of the most hectic and fast paced life styles in the world, I think. From day to night, I am consistently doing something, anything. But I am always occupied with something or other. This is the reason that I was drawn to Korea. I loved the city and the busy lifestyle. It keeps me productive, and it prevents me from being idle. So, now that I have adjusted to life in Korea, I enjoy almost every second. Of course, I still miss my family; I especially miss my baby kitten who I cannot stand the thought of leaving for so long. But, these are just a few of the many challenges that I must face in order to grow stronger and more independent. Cheers to two years of South Korea!


By - Saba Tahir