Monday, May 12, 2014

TA Blog: Indonesian Hoops

 
 
 
I love sports, especially basketball. I love both playing and watching basketball game.
 
I only watched our local basketball league (Indonesian Basketball League) back then. But when ABL (ASEAN Basketball League) was started in 2009, I was so excited because I can watch basketball games in a different level. ABL is the first men’s professional basketball league in Southeast Asia.
 
In this league, each team is permitted to have 2 imports of non-ASEAN citizenship players, 3 ASEAN-import player, one player with one Southeast Asia parent, and seven local players. Even though there are certain groups of people that don’t like the idea of having import player in the team, I am pro to this player roster because I think the import players actually can help the local players to improve their skills.
 
In 2012, Indonesia Warriors (Indonesia’s representative team) won the league after beat the San Miguel Beermen (Philippines) 2-1 on the best of 3 format.
 
If it’s a home game, I usually watched it with my friends. But if it’s an away game, I watched in on the sports channel (ESPN or Fox Sports) or live streaming. But one of the most memorable things about watching basketball game is when I took my nephew to watch with me. He usually watched it with me at home, and if I was about to go to watch the home game at the stadium, he always asked me where’d I go and he always wanted to go with me to watch it live at the stadium. And one day in 2013, I finally took him to the stadium to watch ABL game. He was so excited. When he watched the game, he was so focused and I was dazzled to see him like that. One happy day that I will always remember.
 
 

Stella Minelko is a Class TA in GEO 28. You can check her profile here.