Tuesday, June 10, 2014

TA Blog: My Eleven for World-Cup 2014

With the World-Cup just a few days around the corner, the expectations among prospective fans are sky high. I am sure come end of the cup, football experts all around the world will have their own set of top players that have played well, but if I was given the opportunity to create a dream team now, this is how it would look like.

The formation I prefer is 4-2-3-1 because of the players that I have chosen. My goalkeeper would definitely be Gianluigi Buffon from Italy. He is winner and has proved his heroics in the 2008 world-cup when they went on to win it. My central defense pairing would be Vincent Company from Belgium and Matt Hummels from Germany. Company is strong in his tackles and Hummels is as cool as you can get to handle pressure. My side defenders would be Philipp Lahm, the German captain on the left and Dani Alves from Brazil on the right, because of their attacking intensity from the sides. Holding the midfield would be Sergio Busquets from Spain, as he has the capability to destroy the attacking flow of the opponents. Accompanying him in that position would be Yaya Toure of the Ivory Coast, as he has incomparable stamina to run up-down the field. Providing the creativity in midfield would be Andres Iniesta of Spain, his ball control skills and pin-point passing are unrivaled for in modern football. Providing the attack would be the world’s two best players, Lionel Messi of Argentina on the left wing and Cristiano Ronaldo on the right wing. They score goals as well as create goals. Heading the attack would be my main-man, Robin Van Persie of Netherlands. He has killer instincts that any strikers should possess and his finishing is lethal.

I would have liked an English player on that list, because I have supported them in the past years but for me the players I have chosen are the best players playing in the given position. I still hope they will be able to perform well though. Lastly, since I am in Korea, a huge shout out to the South Korean team because this is the team I will be supporting through the world-cup. Go Taeguk Warriors!!

Pukar is a Global Lounge TA in GEO 28. You can check her profile here