Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Class Blog: What I learned and felt through GEO Program


It is necessary to live in GEO dormitory and participate in GEO Program because I am one of students on a scholarship in the Catholic University. So I could be up to level 2, 3, 5 steadily and have the opportunity to participate the GEO Camp during vacation and GEO Intensive. The GEO program is typically composed by regular classes, club, social evening, colloquium and global lounge visits.

I'm very satisfied with the components of the program. In regular classes, we learned speaking as I communicate with classmates, listening through the video, grammar and presentation skills, so we can present better with confidence. Sometimes, we could also master the class content through games with fun atmosphere. I think the biggest attraction of GEO is to be able to talk freely with classmates in English. So if we emphasize and fulfill these advantages of GEO, we can not only improve English language skills but also disappear the fear about using English. The professor who is in charge of my class is Stephen. Professor Stephen have classes with relaxed atmosphere and come closer to the students familiar than other teachers. He said that if you have problem which you don’t know in class or anywhere else occur, you may ask the problem directly and actively he give us the support. Not only that, to get a new class item and he always teaches with passion.

In case of clubs, I can freely communicate with people that I don’t know and come forward with self-confidence. But I feel bad by the lack of number of club class which I can take. Global lounge visit, which is the biggest advantage of the GEO program is a  good chance to us to talk with foreigners. Not only that we have chance to communicate with numerous foreigners, but we can also correct our essays by visiting the English Writing Clinic.  There was a burden of writing in English at first but after I saw that he corrected my piece and give information about accurate grammar and form in English, I think this is program which I want to recommend to other students.

But GEO time in this semester is my last, this time seemed to be a good opportunity to use the English easier. So I am grateful to GEO program after I enter the Catholic University. However, I would strive to participate Global Lounge visits which is a program known through the GEO program in the future.

Kunwoo Kim is in Professor Stephen's class, 5-1. He is a student for GEO 28.