Tuesday, November 15, 2011

My GEO Speech Contest Experience Part 4


Seung Eun Lee, an avid learner of the English language

My name is Seung Eun Lee and I major in culture contents. People might think my major is not that related to English, but I think learning English is important. I was a GEO Level 3 student last summer vacation. In our life, we need to gain confidence in using the English language and that’s why I joined the English speech contest. I participated in that contest with no hesitation because I thought it would be really helpful to me. I spent almost 2 weeks preparing for the speech. Whenever I am confronted with difficult problems such as choosing proper words, writing a script, and making visual effects, I used to try to solve them with my speech partner. This is the third year of school for me, and I am pretty busy nowadays. But if I am a freshman or sophomore, I will definitely join the speech contest again. I can say that it was a really special experience for me. I learned a lot throughout the whole process and I definitely cherish the memories that I had during the speech contest. Let me tell you a funny episode I went through. To attract audience’s attention, I and my partner made face masks. But the thing was my partner’s face is too big to fit the size of the mask. So we struggle making masks. I hope GEO students will also have these kinds of good experience by joining in English speech contest. I highly encourage everyone to join the English speech contest. It’s a great opportunity to practice your English skills and at the same time learn from others as well. You will definitely become a better person, a more confident individual by joining this activity.

Seung Eun during the English Speech Contest. She is standing second from the right


from GEO Class 4-1 (Prof. Nigel James Power and TA Sarah Kwon)