Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Meet our Foreign Teaching Assistants on the Block - Part 4

In the previous articles you read about Affy, Thommy and Raizza who came from Pennsylvania (United States of America), Minneapolis (United States of America), Manila (Philippines) respectively. This time around, let's meet another wonderful fellow who hails from Texas, USA. He is a very positive person willing to help you out in your language concerns.

Read on and learn more about him, his experience and great advice for your English language learning.





Meet Colin...

Name: Colin Zwirko
Nickname: I go by Colin
Hometown: Born in Dallas, Texas, but now, I call Austin, TX my home.
Length of stay in Korea: I will stay in Korea through the end of fall '12 semester.
School/ Course: I come from St. Edward's University in Austin, TX and my major is International Studies.
Terms of tenure in CUK: I am an exchange student.



What are your likes and dislikes?
Likes: Traveling, Ice Hockey (NHL), watching movies, going to concerts and music festivals, listening to music, hanging out with friends.

What keeps you busy during your spare time?
I keep busy by studying, reading news and books, and hanging out with friends.



What is your impression about Korea? What do you like most about Korea?
My impressions are solidly positive. The way of life here is comfortable and friendly, and I think I like the people the most.


What is your impression of CUK and its Vision of becoming and International Hub?

CUK is extremely impressive in its scope and reach. I even saw an ad for GEO in a Yonhap magazine. The campus is new and beautiful, and I honestly like the campus life a whole lot more than my own university back home.

Expectations from GEO, GEO students...
I don't have too many expectations really, just that it'll be a rewarding experience to meet and talk with so many people who are so interested in the English language. It's truly humbling to know so many people have the determination and drive to accomplish the feat of learning another language, and it helps inspire me to do the same with learning Korean.


Things you want to impart to readers ( Anything you'd like to share about yourself, your life as a student, living in your home country, living in Korea, difference of your home country and Korea)
Life in Seoul feels a hundred times faster than life in mid-size Austin, TX. I'd first suggest that you visit Austin if ever you are in Texas. Experience the music scene, the many food trucks serving up delicious and unique foods, and absolutely don't forget to head a little west towards the beautiful Hill Country for some authentic BBQ! Next I just want to say that I'm looking forward to exploring the rest of Korea during my time here, and thanks for accepting me into your wonderful country :)

Message to GEO 17 students
To the GEO Students: NEVER STOP PRACTICING! Regardless of your purpose to learn English in the first place, just remember to keep in contact with English speakers and have conversations from time to time. Come visit me in the Global Lounge and we'll practice there, and don't hesitate to get my contact information in case you ever want to practice speaking in the future! Language learning is fulfilling and will boost your confidence in every aspect of life, so keep at it, and I'll remember to do the same!


Here you go, we hope you got to know our FTA Colin better.
Enjoy your English Clinic conversations with him...^^





by Abigail Go, GEO Blog Editor