Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The Korean Election


An election is a formal decision-making process by which a population chooses an individual to hold public office. Elections have been the usual mechanism by which modern representative democracy has operated since the 17th century. Elections may fill offices in the legislature, sometimes in the executive and judiciary, and for regional and local government. This process is also used in many other private and business organizations, from clubs to voluntary associations and corporations.

In Korea, The first election was implemented, in May 1945, after independence. However the principle of election was not followed. During the reign of president Rhee-seung-man, the president was elected by the National Assembly, not by the direct vote of the people. Also, during Dictatorship period of president Park-Jung-Hee and solitary dictatorship of president Jung-Du-Hwan, the governmental institution named unity-main-people-parliament selected the president. During this time, due to varied political interests and corruption, the noble sentiment of Democracy did not materialize. Today’s right to vote was obtained through many struggles, such as ‘April revolution ‘and ‘The May 18 Democratic uprising’ etc. During these struggles, there were much sacrifices made by students and silent majority. However lots of young people now seem to forget this fact.

April 11 was Korea’s election day. During the week before the election day, it was noisy everywhere because Candidates for the National Assembly tried to attract eligible voters for the election. Honestly, most of the twenty year old electorates don’t really care about the election of members for the National Assembly. For these individuals (mostly students), they think politics and politicians’ pledge do not directly affect them. It is not their real problem. They are more concerned about their grades in their school subjects, and/or part time job. In addition, most people think that the Candidates are good at telling fair words and most of them have the tendency not to keep their promises to the public. People doubt them and accept them critically. Moreover, the Youth are indifferent to politics and the elderly do not trust these candidates. This phenomenon is a big problem in Korea.

Regionalism is also a part of reason why people express extremely different opinions for the National Assembly. The difficult and divisive national debate over regionalism in Korea can get someone elected to the National Assembly even if he does not have great credentials and/or doesn’t have any good pledge. Most people vote representatives because they are from same area. Surely, regionalism creates bias and is surely one of the main causes of injustice in election.

When I was a high school student, I anticipated the time when I can exercise my right to vote. I really wanted to vote as my parents during the 2008 election for Korea’s President. Unfortunately, I was not qualified to do so. But in 2010, I was so excited and was looking forward to vote during the election members of the National Assembly. That was my first time to vote!! I got the right of vote!!! I went to my hometown in the morning, and exercised my right to vote at my elementary school. It felt very strange for me, but I felt very happy. It was absolutely awesome!! This 2012, I have the chance to vote for members of the National Assembly again. Two years ago, as mentioned I clearly wanted the right of vote. Although I didn't know who the candidates were, I just wanted to vote. But this year, I didn’t bother to go to my hometown to vote. I didn't know who they were. I didn't know the political parties. Thinking about it in a deeper manner, I think my mindset was wrong. But I think it was not solely my fault. Most of candidates have to promote themselves to everyone. 'This is who I am.', 'My campaign promises are these.' like that. But they just promoted themselves. I think they didn't care about anything except for the turnout. I know that my thinking might be wrong. I hope that I will have more interest in the candidates and in voting during the next election. I also hope these parties work to fulfill their promises to the public so they can regain the trust of the public.


From GEO Class No. 4-2 Professor Roger and T.A: Soojeong