Monday, April 29, 2013

TA Jeremy recommends: School of Rock (movie, 2003)


TA Jeremy recommends: School of Rock (movie, 2003)

Having spent almost two months in the global lounge now (I do leave the lounge to sleep and eat), I have heard many  people talking about and sometimes singing  along with the songs from Jack Black’s 2003 hit ,”School of rock”. With that in mind, I couldn’t help but watch the movie again last week and then write a review.  I know that most of the world has seen this movie about twice in their life but I am hopeful that because it is such an enjoyable film, my review will entice everybody to consider watching it again and maybe even break out into a random song in the global lounge for everyone to enjoy.

Dewey Finn (Jack Black) is a wannabe rocker and dreams of winning a rock concert one day with his mates whom he is in a band with.  However it all goes terribly wrong when his mates kick him out of the band when they feel he is holding them back from success. Dewey now unemployed steals his flatmates identity and becomes a casual teacher class at a prestigious American elementary school.  He is an absolutely hopeless teacher and one day after accidentally hearing his students at an orchestra rehearsal, decides to turn them into a rock band. The rest of the story I will leave for you to discover.

So what’s my overall opinion of this now considered Jack Black best?  Firstly, what’s not to love about the totally awesome rock music from the 60’s and 70’s? Secondly, I say move over Glee fans, this is a much better story about a kind hearted, talented and motivational rock star who really succeeds at inspiring his class and us the viewer into truly believing that we can do anything we want and we are as cool as we want to be.

By - Jeremy