Wednesday, January 15, 2014

GEO26 and Babies

Babies Madness
Babies. If you have any experience with them, you would understand no matter how much they cry and how bad they throw a tantrum, you will just love them. My compassion for these little creatures started early and seems to be endless. In Korea, I want to spend some of my time ‘’playing with babies” which most people will just consider it as volunteering. I tried to find out as much as information from the internet and I came across Eastern Social Welfare Society (ESWS). ESWS was founded in 1972 by Dr. Duk Whang Kim, a lifelong Christian and an elder of a church. For twenty eight years, ESWS has helped needy children find families, provides places and education for the disabled children. I quickly found out that ESWS has a Babies home which is accessible from our university.




When I visited ESWS in Hongdae area for the first time, my heart was thumping hard to hear the babies’ cries even though my elevator door just opened at the third floor of the building. I was fully mesmerized and immersed by the numbers of infants and how cute they are. There are probably about 40 babies in that place. They are group into 3 rooms based on their age and health status. In order to volunteer, we need to sign up and submit a health report. There are quite many foreigners as well as local Koreans that are volunteering in this place.



These babies are in fact waiting in line to be placed into a foster home and also getting adopted by a new parent. Spending first few months of their innocent life, they never been loved or cared by their biological parents. While being nurtured in this temporary home, it is a great opportunity for us to play a role. Holding, hugging, feeding, changing their diapers and play with them are the ways, we can show our empathy and love.



After several time visiting, I realized that a baby named Su Bin that I used to hold a lot was not there anymore. He had been sent to his foster home. It was somehow a gentle reminder for me to love them unconditionally but not to get too attached with them. It was a bitter experience but I should know that sooner or later, they will find a better home.

As for me, I really feel grateful to find this great place. If you want to take a better glimpse of this place, you can visit http://adoption.eastern.or.kr/eastern/main/main.jsp?c_no=002
Besides doing field volunteering, you can also donate some of your change when you see a giant pink transparent milk bottle that I regularly bring with me =)
Remember! We share because we care and it is never too late =p