Monday, January 27, 2014

GEO26 and Model UN

By -  Ko Yo Han
Geo26 is my first time attending the GEO camp. When I first came to Catholic University of Korea, I really wanted to join the vacation GEO But since I lived in the country side, and I was a little bit afraid of coming to Seoul so I didn’t attend the previous camps at all. After last my semester ended I decided to attend the Geo26 camp because I wanted to improve my English skills and my friends recommended me to join the GEO camp to develop my English skills.
During the Geo program we have to do 4times of Team Competition and each Competition we have different missions to complete. One of the missions that impressed me a lot was Model UN.  Since it was our first time of doing this mission with using international usage words, it was really hard and difficult to complete the mission with my team mates.
To give some information about how to deal with our mission Model UN, the process would be:
1.      Opening Speeches
First each delegate is given a minute to give his or her opening speech.
The purpose of an opening speech is to introduce your country and the stance of your country on the given agenda.
2.      Draft Resolution.
The draft resolution will be the basis for negotiation to other countries, I recommend you to at least think about and write down possible solutions to the given agenda.
3.      Go and make a deal
So it means you should choose an agenda you are interested in, research, write an opening speech, and prepare a draft resolution. Go to other countries and make a deal.

During the negotiation I had to be and say it out as if I was one of the Israel governments to win this mission. I tried to be matured with my languages and I kept my perspective wide to make sure I am making a right deal with other countries. And so by this mission I have gained a lot of international words and it did developed my English skills as well. I had really enjoyed this Model UN competition and I am very glad to have this opportunity to manage my English skills.

             To conclude, I like how GEO camp’s competition can develop my English skills. Having fun, and earning skills at the same time, it’s just a wonderful thing. In our GEO 5-1 class there is a post written ‘the limits of my language mean the limits of my world.’ And I was grabbed by this famous saying so strongly. Using English helps me a lot throughout expressing myself out while I am having a conversation with others.