Tuesday, November 15, 2011

My GEO Speech Contest Experience


The author, Seong Hyun Park, during the Speech contest presentation

My name is Seong Hyun Park and my major is social science. This is my first year in the university. I’m glad that I joined the Global English Outreach (GEO) program and the GEO English speech contest during the summer vacation. I participated in GEO 12. We were required to join the speech contest. Good thing that I was also interested in delivering speech. So I together with my friends made a team and registered in the speech contest as a group. I and my other teammates prepared for our speech everyday so as not to get nervous in front of many audiences. Although, it took us almost a week to practice our speech, nonetheless we enjoyed the whole process. Finally, we finished our speech successfully and we won the first prize. I was so happy at that moment. I am so pleased that I participated in the activity. It was so memorable for me. I think it was really great experience that is why I like to participate in GEO program and English speech contest again. If I join once more, I think I will improve a lot and I can do better than before. Of course, there was a funny episode during the time we prepared for the contest. We bought a soju to use it as part of our speech props, but we found that we can’t use props that are against educational purposes and moral conduct. So we bought a lemon juice instead of soju. (Laugh) I can still remember that clearly! I was extremely satisfied with that experience.

Seong Hyun and teammates during their speech delivery

from GEO Class 4-1 (Prof. Nigel James Power and TA Sarah Kwon)