Wednesday, April 2, 2014

GEO Class Blog: Life Without a Mobile Phone


By Sungho Jung (3-3)

In the 21st century, a mobile phone is not just a device helping us to contact each other but it is already part of our everyday life. So, it is hard to imagine our life without mobile phone and the internet. The invention of the technologies completely changed our society. The creation of telecommunications influenced the way of trade, establishing cities and organizing human networks. Without this revolution, human history cannot be explained.

As one of the inhabitants in this socialized world, I will fail to survive without these devices if I do not give up interacting with people. I would rather  leave the  metropolitan city and climb a mountain.



First of all, I persistently receive a lot of messages from my friends, family, and university colleagues anytime. As long as I grab my mobile phone and there is a Wi-Fi zone, I can look over it and take action. In other words, if I am not able to access the mobile phone or the Internet, I will miss all my messages and start to seem negligible and irresponsible.

Moreover, an environment without these technologies is inadequate for students because all announcements including assignments are provided through the Internet and the process in registration (e-cyber) is entirely computerized.

In this situation, I cannot help but be a fool in class. I will not be able to stop criticism by classmates who are in my team.

Mobile phones and the internet replaced heavy and weapon-like books including dictionary, which means my bag will be heavier than ever.

In summary, this circumstance might engender tons of misunderstanding, deprive me in contacting my friends and end up in ruining my life.  Although, it is good way to figure out how much mobile phone and the Internet dominate our life.
I thought the life without them was fine when I was a soldier but since being discharged from the military, now my point of view has changed - not anymore.

***



Sungho Jung is a Junior Economics and International Studies major. In his free time, he likes watching the same movie over and over again and memorizing lines from the said movie.